What Is Text Neck? Can Chiropractic Treatment Ease Your Pain?
Remember when everyone was suffering from “Blackberry thumb”?
These days, our electronic devices are causing something a new, painful condition called text neck.
Thankfully, your Salina chiropractor can provide treatments and resources that will significantly reduce or eliminate text neck-related pain.
The Biomechanics of Text Neck – Why It Hurts so Much
Text neck is caused by looking at an electronic device (phone, tablet, laptop) for too long, whether you’re:
- Playing games
- Watching movies
- Sending emails
- Binging on social media
Such activities are an integral part of the average person’s day that they don’t even realize how much time they’ve devoted to them.
The problem is that as you look down at your device, your head juts out of proper alignment. Your head weighs around 10 pounds, and your delicate neck supports it well – as long as you’re practicing proper posture.
When your head is off-center, it pulls on the muscles, tendons, and ligaments of the neck and shoulders. Over time, this misalignment causes inflammation and muscle tension. The result:
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or hands
- Stiffness and loss of muscle flexibility
- Fast muscle fatigue
How Your Salina Chiropractor Can Ease Your Neck Pain
Thankfully, there’s hope! Your Salina chiropractor can successfully treat text neck with the following therapies.
- Chiropractic Adjustments: Without treatment, the pain and tension from cervical (neck) misalignment will only increase. Adjustments will put your body back in proper alignment and diminish the strain on both hard and soft tissues.
- Massage Therapy: Even after a spinal realignment, your muscles may be slow to respond. You need extra help to ease the tension. A massage therapist can provide multiple therapies to help you relax.
- Lifestyle Recommendations: Your Salina chiropractor can recommend daily stretches and home/workplace ergonomic practices to prevent text neck.
Take Preventative Action Now to Reduce Your Risk of Pain
Drs. Maria and Jeff Rapp don’t just want to treat your pain – they want to help you prevent it. They’re constantly on the lookout for the latest tools and techniques that will accomplish this. You can be sure that by implementing their recommendations now that you’ll prevent pain and damage down the road.
Tired of suffering through your day with neck pain and headaches? We can help! Call us at 785-827-7779 to schedule a consultation.